Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Kitchen Corner

My kitchen is pretty tiny, but even small spaces need sprucing. This is what it looked like when I moved in:



















From the placement of the rug, you can tell just how skinny the space is. Now I know what you're saying.. "What up with the lack of upper cabinet doors? And what's with the odd waste of space 1) for the stupid decorative shelf in the middle of the cabinets and 2) beside the stove?" Well, I can't say I understand the kitchen design choices.. but I am forced to work with them. Such is the curse of the renter. My food just stays on display all the time.

The strange empty corner by the stove is no longer empty, though. Here's what it looks like now:


Woo happy corner! Bogart and Bergman had been holding down the fort by themselves for a while, but now they've been joined by some other wall decor (two aprons and photos of Central Park) and a little table that fills up the corner space. Here's a closer look at the table:



My mom found this table at Canton Trade Days (a HUGE flea market type event) and gave it to me for Christmas. The bottom is from an antique sewing machine (the top was added by the seller). I did some Google searching and found this:


The "The Free" on the bottom pedal was the name of the sewing machine, which was manufactured by the Free Sewing Machine Company based out of Rockford, Ill. I'm certain that the bottom of my table is from this model specifically. It looks exactly the same as the picture, and you can even see holes on the upper sides of the legs where the drawers would have attached. I couldn't find a date for when they manufactured the machines of this style, but it's still pretty cool!

No comments: