Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Rug Project

I'm embarking on another crochet project. This one is a rug to go in "my" room at my parents' house. Over the summer I painted the room yellow and helped my mom pick out fabric for the curtains, so I'm going to make the rug to go along with the color scheme. Here is a swatch of the curtain fabric:
I really love the fabric but I was worried about finding yarn that was the right color. For the particular rug pattern I chose, I needed 3 different colors. So I journeyed to Hobby Lobby, swatch in hand, and eventually found the perfect combination. Usually I use Caron Simply Soft because it's so much softer than the cheaper yarns, but for a rug you want something more sturdy and a little bit stiffer (softer yarns are slightly more pliable). So the Red Heart Super Saver it was. Here are the colors I ended up with:









I was really excited to find the last one-- I wanted a blue like the seafoam/turquoise that is in the fabric pattern but couldn't find it at HobLob, and then I saw that color mix skein. It has the tan, greens, brown, AND a good color blue.

I have to crochet the rug with an enormous needle and holding three strands of yarn together at the same time. I haven't ever done that before, but it's actually pretty easy and makes the project bigger faster. Here's Scout enjoying the progress so far:
 
More to come!

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

You're insane and I love it. That's going to be awesome when it's done; I can feel it.